PRDnationwide Newcastle
2/16 Telford Street
Newcastle East, NSW 2300
PO Box 1089 Newcastle, NSW 2300
PRDnationwide Lake Macquarie
115/1 Howard Street,
Warners Bay, NSW 2282
PO Box 1089 Newcastle, NSW 2300
PRDnationwide New Lambton
75A Regent Street
New Lambton, NSW 2305
PO Box 1089 Newcastle, NSW 2300
PRDnationwide NNP
113/145 Hunter St
Newcastle, NSW 2300
PO Box 1089 Newcastle, NSW 2300
Call us on: 02 4926 0600 24 hours
Alternatively, send us a message
For all Safehands Property Management, please call 02 4926 0626
Requesting maintenance? Click Here
September 5, 2018 |

Living As A Tenant – Handy Information

As a tenant, you have a responsibility to the landlord to take care of the property.

There are a few things that are requested of you that you should be aware of:

If you wish to install, modify or replace anything on the property or in the house, including putting up picture hooks, a request must be made to the property manager. This then has to be approved before anything further is done.

Often there are lawns or gardens on the property that need to be maintained. You need to water and maintain any plants, gardens or grass that is on the property. Other maintenance may be required also.

Inspections are regularly conducted by property managers. You will be issued a written notice of inspection with given days that the inspections will be performed. If the times are not suitable due to an unforeseeable circumstance, please contact your property manager to arrange a suitable time.

If you are leasing a strata title unit, there are by-laws that are attached to the lease agreement that MUST be obeyed accordingly. If you need an additional copy of these by-laws, please contact your property manager.

Water usage

The front of your lease agreement outlines if you will be charged for water usage. If you are still not sure, please contact the property manager.

Water usage is calculated through meter readings and can only be done if the property is individually metered.

You will be invoiced for water usage every quarter. An invoice from Safe Hands will be sent to you and the payment will have to be made to Safe Hands Property Management, not Hunter water, within 21 days.

If there is a significant increase or decrease in usage since your last bill, please contact your property manager as there may be a leak or broken meter.

In case of emergency

If there is an emergency, your first call should be to your property manager. Should you not be able to speak to your property manager for whatever reason, please call our office and explain the situation. We will endeavour to deal with the situation promptly.

If there is an emergency after hours, including plumbing, electrical or otherwise, please refer to the list of contacts on the front page of your lease agreement.

What to do if you are locked out

During business hours you may collect a set of keys from our office. These keys will have to be returned within 24 hours. You will need photo identification and must be listed on the lease in order to loan the keys.

If you lose the keys at any time during your tenancy, you are responsible for organising a new set of keys as well as the costs involved.

Outside of business hours please call Ambassador Locksmiths 4942 2202. Please note that you are responsible for the cost involved.

Sharing tenancies

We highly recommend that one person is responsible for paying the rent and water costs as a whole. When tenants try to pay shares individually, it often leads to mix ups or other problems.

Be aware that all tenants are responsible for any debt. We do not distinguish between separate payments, all tenants on the lease are held accountable.
Should the tenants residing in the property change for any reason (leaving or otherwise), a change of shared tenancy form MUST be filled out and submitted to the property manager.

When an owner requires the property

An owner may wish to end the tenancy. If this occurs the following conditions apply:

If your lease is about to expire the owner must give you 30 days written notice.

If your lease has expired the owner must give you 90 days written notice.

If the property has been sold and the lease has expired the owner must give you 30 days written notice on the unconditional exchange of contacts for sale.

Share this article: